Friday, January 10, 2014

Cy Turns Two

Dear Cy,               
(Disclaimer: This was written back in June 2013, a couple weeks after Cy's birthday on May 22. It's now 1/10/14. I was waiting to post pictures, but never got any up. I'm still having trouble with the pics, but I figured a post without pics is better than no post at all.)

It's amazing how much more difficult these updates are to keep up with as the time goes by and I'm doing my best just to keep up with you. You turned two last month and you have definitely been keeping me on my toes. You are all boy and I love every inch of it. You have a big strong voice and a sweet and gentle heart. The perfect combination to me. You have such a strong presence but you can also be so shy and tentative around places and people that aren't entirely familiar to you. It's at times like those that you gravitate toward me and often grab one of my legs with both arms wrapped around in a death-like grip. But, it only takes a few minutes of me sitting with you and helping you get used to your surroundings that you start to venture off and gain the confidence you need to play on your own. That and a big fire truck always helps.

You love trucks, especially garbage and fire trucks. You love saying, "GAR BAGE!" real loud and when I say it back to you it makes you laugh. You're starting to talk more and more and I can usually hear you sing along in the back seat to the nursery songs I play on the CD player in the car. You really enjoy music and we can usually catch you dancing to the rhythm. You have many more words than I could count right now and I've even heard you counting with Charlotte at times, as well as singing the ABC song along with her. You two have been playing together more and more and enjoying your play time together more as well, which warms my heart beyond belief. Charlotte loves all the same trucks and cars and trains as you do, so it can make for some opportunistic times for sharing lessons. But, I'll set the timer for five minutes, at which time you have to share, and more than half the time you don't even make it the full five minutes before you hand it over to her at will. If you play too rough, which happens quite often, you are very quick to tell her you're sorry and give her a big hug...which usually causes her to cry again because it's so big it knocks her over, but it's really the loving thought that counts.

You definitely have a stubborn streak though. Your Grandma Smith is convinced it's from your Daddy. (I am too.) You will fight and fight until you finally realize it's in your best interest to give in, or in your bottom's best interest, and you finally will relent. It's at that moment though that a switch is flipped and you stop fighting, want hugs, and keep saying "sorry, sorry, sorry". We tell you we forgive you and we love you, and give you more hugs, and then you're off again as if nothing happened.

You really are so much fun to be with. You LOVE rough housing with your Daddy and love being thrown around by him. He'll toss you in the air, almost to the top of the vaulted ceiling and you just cry for "more more more!" whenever it seems like he may be done. You love your bath time but are still pretty tentative about the pool. Last year you would sit in the floating starfish or let us carry you around in the water, but this year you stick pretty close to the side. You'll be completely content sitting on the steps splashing your hands in the water and watching me and Charlotte swim. Then, when it's time to go, you make it very known you're not happy with the decision by throwing a pretty healthy sized fit. That's one thing that is very challenging for you - leaving a place or situation that has been lots of fun. You're getting a bit better, but it's still pretty tough for you.

The other day I was watching you play with your cars. You were playing by yourself and were so intentional in all your movements and having a ball playing on your own. I told your Daddy how happy I was that God gave us a boy - that God gave us you. You are such a delight to watch grow and change and laugh and play. I go in every night after you're asleep and make sure you're covered up, and I just stare in awe at the wonderful gift before me. I thank the Lord every day for such a joy and delight in my life. I can't imagine us ever being without you. I love you Cy. You're my sweet boy.

Love,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment